UGC introduces ‘UTSAH’ Portal to Track Qualitative Reforms by HEIs
- On March 14, 2023
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has recently introduced a new portal to track the qualitative reforms undertaken by Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in India.
The portal, called Undertaking Transformative Strategies and Actions in Higher Education (UTSAH), aims to monitor the implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 and its strategic initiatives. HEIs are required to log in to the portal and provide information on the ten major thrust areas and have identified key performance indicators for each area, and the portal will generate monthly reports based on this data.
UTSAH: A User-Friendly Portal for HEIs
UTSAH has been developed in consultation with various stakeholders, including institutions, universities, colleges, Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), and National Institutes of Technology (NITs). HEIs can use the portal's user-friendly interface to provide information on their initiatives, achievements, and best practices for implementing qualitative reforms on their campuses. The portal will also help track outputs and outcomes across essential fields.
Ten Major Thrust Areas by UGC
The portal focuses on ten major thrust areas identified by the UGC, and each area has specific key performance indicators. One of the significant areas is multidisciplinary and holistic education, which includes the adoption of the Academic Bank of Credits (ABC). The other thrust areas are digital empowerment, online education, skill development, research and innovation, capacity building of teachers, governance and autonomy, quality, ranking and accreditation, equitable and inclusive education, promotion of Indian languages, and internationalization of education.
Benefits of the UTSAH Portal
Some of the benefits of the UTSAH portal, as outlined by the UGC, are:
- Easy Access: The UTSAH portal will provide easy access to information about Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in India. Students, parents, researchers, and policymakers can access the portal from anywhere at any time.
- Accurate Information: The portal will provide accurate information about the HEIs, such as the number of students enrolled, the courses offered, and the infrastructure available. This information will help students make informed decisions about where to pursue higher education.
- Improved Transparency: The portal will improve transparency in the higher education system. HEIs will be required to update their information regularly, which will help identify gaps in the system and promote accountability.
- Policy Formulation: The data generated through the portal will be useful for policy formulation in the higher education sector. Policymakers will have access to reliable data that can help them make informed decisions.
- Benchmarking: The portal will allow HEIs to benchmark themselves against other institutions. This will encourage healthy competition and promote excellence in the higher education system.
- Quality Enhancement: The portal will provide valuable feedback to HEIs on areas where they need to improve. This will help institutions enhance the quality of education they provide.
The UGC's new UTSAH portal is a significant step towards monitoring and supporting the implementation of the NEP 2020 and its strategic initiatives. The portal's user-friendly interface and ten major thrust areas with specific key performance indicators will help HEIs track their progress towards qualitative reforms effectively. The data generated by the portal will be instrumental in policy-making within and outside the government, contributing to the social and economic development of India.